What is Select Soccer?
The select soccer program gives training to qualified players and assists them in progressing to play at the highest levels of play available. Both high school and college teams are mainly comprised of players who have demonstrated their ability through the select programs.
What is a Select Team?
A Furman United Select team is comprised of up to 18 players who have been chosen in open tryouts. They are players whose skill and dedication are at a level more competitive than may be available to them through club recreational teams.
How can you tell you are candidate for a select team?
You probably want to play more soccer than some of your friends
- You like to learn new things
- You find you are more skilled than some of your teammates/friends
- You enjoy the game more when you play with more competitive and skilled players
- Possible participation in State Cup Tournaments
Reasons why a Furman United Select team may be what you are looking for.
Coaches are chosen each year by Furman United’s Director of Coaching in the spring. These coaches are dedicated and enthusiastic about teaching individual skills, group tactics and teamwork. It is required that they hold minimum State Coaching Licenses and are encouraged to continue improving their coaching skills by advancing to the next license level. This elevated level of coaching provides the opportunity for the players to receive the quantity and quality of instruction needed during practice sessions that are both fun and well organized. Coaches are monitored and assessed on a regular basis and are offered help and opportunities for their continued growth in the sport.
Longer Playing Season:
The select soccer season is composed of:
- Tryouts in May
- Summer team camps optional but highly reccomended.
- Optional preparations and play in summer tournaments and leagues.
- 14 week playing season (August-mid November)
- Possible participation in State Cup tournaments played January to March. M
Playing at this level provides many opportunities for players to compete with teams from across the state as well as in tournaments in other states. League play is normally confined to the upstate of South Carolina and Central South Carolina however teams may choose to leave this area to participate in suplimentary tournaments.
As a member of a Furman United Select team you will be playing alongside your skilled teammates against equally capable teams from around the state. In doing so you will see your own skills and tactical ability improve with each game. As your playing ability grows, you will find increased enjoyment and enthusiasm for the game.
Player and Parent commitment
Furman United Select teams require a higher level of financial support and time commitment on the part of the coaches, players and parents than do recreational soccer teams. Following is a brief outline of what a parent and player can expect by participation on a select team:
- Typically, teams begin practicing in early August in preparation for league play.
- Tournaments are held in various locations throughout the state from early August through Labor Day and a team generally participates in at least two tournaments during the season and one of the State Cup tournaments at the end of the season.
- The location and number of tournaments varies with teams, depending on what the coach and parents decide. While many tournaments are local, teams typically enter at least one tournament requiring overnight travel.
- The Select soccer season runs from mid-August till mid-November, with the potential of participation in the State Cup Tournament.
- Season play generally involves teams from across the State of South Carolina
Select team costs:
Select teams pay a registration fee of $185.00 and $45.00 per month in Training fees from August through November.